Wednesday, January 4, 2012

18CT Gold Ring update

So I went to goldbuyers to have the ring checked... they need to train their staff better... before he weighed the ring he tested it... and when the usual test did not work he decided to gouge it with a file... BEFORE he weighed it. so instead of weighing 8 grams it weighs about 7.9 grams... so although it was a "free" test it cost me about $5! And as the price of Gold goes up so will the cost of the "free" test... lol. but it is worthless unless I can verify it's purity.


In the end he did a magnet test and it failed! I was a bit perplexed so I went to mitre 10 got some p1200 sand paper and sanded off all the built up grime and mineralization.  and it's not magnetic anymore and it looks nice and GOLDEN!!!! So I will be back tomorrow and show them the ring again and have them test it again... but not with the file as they can use the massive hole that the guy used yesterday.

Here are some pics of the cleaned version of the ring.


4 comments:

  1. What are the marks inside the ring (pic 3) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing how well this cleaned up, ive taken another look at a ring i found back in August 2011. Thru it in the junk pile as it looked like your one before ya cleaned it, with the heavy crusty/rusted look. Its got me thinking now tho, and am currently giving it a soak to try and find a mark on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try hcl acid & peroxide 3%. that will eat the crusty stuff but not the gold. or just use a light sandpapper like I did. it worked a treat.

    ReplyDelete